Re: [xml-dev] Ten Years Later - XML 1.0 Fifth Edition?

On 22/02/2008, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
>  We ended up using
>  graphics. I would like to believe that that situation has changed (this was
>  about 8 years ago), but I can't see any evidence for this.

I think we used graphics for some parts too - which looked really
great when the user resized the font...  This was about 4 years ago
(and on a MoD maintenance manual!)

>  I don't know if the site that we were building still exists. I found this
>  page in Welsh
>
>  http://www.dca.gov.uk/complwel.htm
>
>  which seems to display incorrectly in both Firefox and IE (spot the question
>  marks).

If you look at the source they're in there:

Ganghellor o g?yn

...so I don't think it's a font problem in this case, but the wrong
encoding used somewhere in the processing.

I remember the pain of encoding issues - especially going from an XML
source to HTML in browsers - was it somewhere in my app, somewhere in
the XSLT, was it served using the wrong mime type, does it have wrong
meta, or is displayed using the wrong font etc,  or was it just the
output window in eclipse or ultraedit.

I should thank Mike Champion who used to write long posts over on
xsl-list explaining encoding to me - thanks Mike!

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com