Re: [xml-dev] RE: Namespace use cases

Just a quick comment on one of your points, Rick.

At 2009-07-11 20:06 +1000, rjelliffe@allette.com.au wrote:
>The second is the namespaces used for Qnames in element and attribute
>values. XSLT went one way, but I think it is the wrong way because it
>fudges the difference between data and markup. Schematron has explicit
>elements and this has been very smooth: developers don't worry about
>default namespaces, they only need to look in a single place.

I long regret the Schematron choice of using elements for declaring
namespaces and their prefixes.  In every other application of XML I
use the namespace axis and namespace facilities to obtain the
information I need to support XPath addresses that are in attribute
values, but for Schematron I have to do something different than for
everything else.  So now instead of looking in a single place for
namespaces (the namespace axis) I now have to look in a second place
(the newly-introduced Schematron elements).

I've always been uncomfortable with that.  I do not find it "smooth" at all.

--
XQuery/XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on training - Oakland, CA, USA 2009-08-03
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/