Re: [xml-dev] Towards XML 2.0

On 7 December 2010 14:42, David Lee <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:
> I'd even argue for a minimum *without attributes* and without mixed content,
> no DTD subset, no namespaces, and only UTF8 support.

I've had to deal with "element only" xml and it's not that pleasant...
instead of the usual:

<item type="foo">value<item>

you have the verbose:

<item>
  <type>foo</type>
  <value>value</value>
</item>

and your xpaths go from:

item[@type = 'foo']

item[type = 'foo']/value

...so not great.

I agree with no DTDs, no namespaces, UTF-8 only etc... mixed content
has to stay otherwise you may as well not call it xml.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com