Re: [xml-dev] Towards XML 2.0

On 08/12/2010 10:03, Andrew Welch wrote:

> The typical problems that I see that frustrate people to point of
> hating XML are just because they've treated it as a string - encoding
> issues, broken namespaces, lone amperstands and left angle brackets
> etc.  What appears to be a simple change to the file (say using a
> regex) breaks it completely, and for encoding issues this can be a
> real pain to track down.

> The 'next xml' needs to be treatable as a string... JSON is just a
> string, right?

Clearly I'm missing something, because I can't see how  lone < and &
messing up an XML document is really any different from mismatched { or
[ messing up json?  I can see a qualitative difference between xml and
html parsing, where html (especially html5 flavoured html) is designed
to silently recover from more or less any arbitrary rubbish thrown at
it, but json, like javascript (and xml) has stricter parsing rules
doesn't it? and so consequently requires some more care in construction.

David