Re: [xml-dev] Principles for an Ethical and Sustainable Internet - XML

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 08:47 -0500, Len Bullard wrote:
>> [...] The quote I sent to Liam
>> was a calm response from one of the world's top music producers whose
>> name you would recognize.
>
> The higher up, the harder the fall.

so very true (and even truer in the UK!).

> The British coal distribution industry was really dismayed when the
> canals were cut, and tried to fight them; the folks with oxen and heavy
> carts went out of business. One hundred year later it was the canal
> shipping industry that tried to fight the railways. And then in turn the
> railways tried to fight the automobile. But none of that was about coal.

nice illustration of how competing concerns play different roles
throughout time,

I think it would be real 'evolution' if somehow we evolve without the
built in concept of 'fight' ... but so is the way of the world.

> It's the distributors tied to selling physical objects who are going to
> go away.

well, Amazon 'same day shipping' may color your thinking here.

> Same as the movie industry. Did you know Google Adsense's revenue is
> larger than Hollywood box office sales and the computer game industry
> combined?

stunning ... did not know this.

> The answer is not "how do we fight the Web and the computer industry
> until they learn to send everything on CDs instead of this awful net
> thing."

the fundamental problem is how we go from 18th century developed
notions in place now and evolve forward, not backwards.

> Let's see a W3C Business Group for tracking music downloads via Web
> browsers so that ISPs can pay royalties. You know where the door is.
> Stop throwing rotten eggs and come inside.

seems reasonable (and I note on topic for the list)

Jim Fuller