Re: [xml-dev] Principles for an Ethical and Sustainable Internet - XML

[Maybe off topic?]

Original Message From: "Liam R E Quin"

> Let's see a W3C Business Group for tracking music downloads via Web
> browsers so that ISPs can pay royalties. You know where the door is.
> Stop throwing rotten eggs and come inside.

I'd be interested to know if the W3C is a suitable place for this.  For me
this process would require a large element of cryptography in addition to
XML.  Would that be within the W3C's scope?

If I were in the music industry and I were to tackle this I would arrange
for each label (e.g. Sony, EMI etc.) to develop their own software library
that supported semantics like "<Download-track>15267438326</Download-track>"
and  "<Play>15267438326</Play>".  These libraries would be responsible to
storing the music on a system in a secure way, employing encryption and
striping the data across multiple files and so on.  Possibly limiting the
lifetime of the data and re-keying from time-to-time etc, maybe even
changing the algorithms from time to time.

People developing media player applications would subscribe to the label's
software libraries and link to them with their code.  The label libraries
would use challenge-response type exchanges to authenticate that the
relevant media player wrapper is approved to use the label's library at
startup.

One big use for XML would be in the cataloguing, along the lines of:

<Track>
    <Id>15267438326</Id>
    <Artist>Bee-Gees</Artist>
    <Title>Staying Alive</Title>
</Track>

(Although Artist would probably use an id.)

Presumably someone supplying the music service (along the lines of Spotify)
would act as a broker between the user and the label.  The broker would have
an account with both the label and the user.  When the user asked for music
to be played, the broker would authorise it, and inform the label to charge
it to the brokers account (using whatever formula was in effect - maybe
free).  (I'll confess I haven't dug deeply into Michael Hopwood DDex links
yet!)

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I think it would require an entire
architecture rather than a standalone XML vocabulary.  Could the W3C develop
that sort of thing for either this case, or a similar case in general?

Thanks,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Twitter: http://twitter.com/petecordell
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info