Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

On 4/9/13 5:20 PM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> On 4/9/13 5:16 PM, Toby Considine wrote:
>> Sorry
>>
>> WS-Interoperability.
>>
>> Originally an industry consortium, no an OASIS specification
>
> That was what I was afraid of.  WS-*, aka the Death Star, was pretty
> much the ultimate purveyor of the worst practices that schemas encourage.
>
> I would prefer to take guidance from other quarters.
>
> Thanks,
Might be interesting as a straw man.  I only became aware of this piece
of work at its tail end (years after any attempt at standardization was
abandoned, I think), when I guided some agonized engineers through an
implementation of a soap service in perl that was supposed to provide
services to a Microsoft .NET consumer: these two software packages used
completely antagonistic approaches, as far as I could tell.  The
"standards" were worse than useless; they should have been called web
services inoperability.  There are at least two, maybe three completely
different interpretations of the SOAP vocabulary based on fundamentally
different conceptions of how to deliver web services, all masquerading
under the same heading of WS-I.  There are layers of incomprehensible
service endpoint babbledygook that makes reading the actual markup
nearly impossible: it might as well be a binary format for all the
benefit one gets from XML in this arena. The current situation is that
the only rational way to use SOAP is to use two endpoints from the same
provider, and never ever to look under the covers at the XML that is
being generated for you.  At least that's how it seemed to me as an
infrequent user - I don't claim to be an expert.  This particular piece
of software is the tar baby of our organization - touch it at your peril.

I'm sure this is old news for many of you (or else it's a sore spot and
I've just completely offended you), but it might be interesting, Simon,
to explore the part that schema-oriented thinking played in this?  Or
perhaps it was just a case of a poorly-run committee, and no other
inferences can be drawn, I don't know.  I wonder though if this isn't
actually the dark well from which a lot of anti-XML sentiment springs.
It's clearly in the web service transport layer that JSON really seems
to shine, with its low-impedance match to programming language data
structures, and its lack of impenetrable non-standard standards.

-Mike