Re: Fwd: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

Why, I'm just a humble engineer, who finds joy in 'Spieltrieb' rather than confronting 'Formtrieb' and 'Sinnestrieb'. Thanatos and Eros.

I work for a legal publisher. Our customers couldn't care less about what technologies we use. If there was a business case for smoke signals or cuneiform, we'd find a way to provide it. XML and related tools are means, not ends. XML schema languages are means to keep suppliers honest. Pattern cookbooks help you model new problems in known terms.

While I might be somewhat preoccupied about naming things, I'm currently fighting a heritage of named character entities, and I fully understand how emotional one can get about the burden of insane boat anchors.

Anyway, here is another quote from Through the Looking Glass:

'You are sad,' the Knight said in an anxious tone: 'let me sing you a song to comfort you.'

'Is it very long?' Alice asked, for she had heard a good deal of poetry that day.

'It's long,' said the Knight, 'but it's very, very beautiful. Everybody that hears me sing it -- either it brings the tears into their eyes, or else --'

'Or else what?' said Alice, for the Knight had made a sudden pause.

'Or else it doesn't, you know. The name of the song is called "Haddocks' Eyes".'

'Oh, that's the name of the song, is it?' Alice said, trying to feel interested.

'No, you don't understand,' the Knight said, looking a little vexed. 'That's what the name is called. The name really is "The Aged Aged Man".'

'Then I ought to have said "That's what the song is called"?' Alice corrected herself.

'No, you oughtn't: that's quite another thing! The song is called "Ways and Means": but that's only what it's called, you know!'

'Well, what is the song, then?' said Alice, who was by this time completely bewildered.

'I was coming to that,' the Knight said. 'The song really is "A-sitting On a Gate": and the tune's my own invention.'