Re: [xml-dev] Testing XML don't use xUnit

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Stephen D Green
<stephengreenubl@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is significant difference how Selenium API is used
> compared to Selenium IDE (for Firefox), as far as XPath
> locators of HTML attributes and elements is concerned.
> Selenium API requires writing of code to run it which adds
> time to development of the tests so developer is more likely
> to be looking for repeated use with lower maintenance so
> yes XPath expressions might be avoided. With the IDE,
> on the other hand, the IDE itself provides XPath expressions
> and tests are quickly produced and can be easily replaced
> rather than maintained so XPath is very popular, in my
> experience / awareness. With the API I'd think a developer
> would be likely to take time to separate between XPaths
> and more abstract test descriptions (usually by abstracting
> away from the XPath perhaps). But like I say, there is still
> a place for XPath in the IDE; and important place.
>
> Cheers

Ultimately we would like to translate CSS into markup. Does this mean
that Selenium API could play a role in helping us achieve that goal.

Say something like traversing the tree and pulling the CSS
incantations applicable to each node we encounter. I suppose that
would mean having to write a depth first search in the DOM but if
Selenium proffered such capability to extract from CSS easily that
would be very interesting.