Re: [xml-dev] [OT] Re: [xml-dev] Lessons learned from the XML experiment

On 11/15/13 12:01 PM, David Sheets wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
On 11/15/13 11:45 AM, David Sheets wrote:
Please direct me to the relevant source that refutes that XML was
"designed for nodes".
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210>

One mention of 'node', in a non-normative appendix using other people's
terminology.  That hasn't changed in more recent versions or in XML 1.1.
Ah, I understand the difficulty. I believe I should have said
"elements". I was thinking in terms of generic trees and picked the
word "node" instead. Are "nodes" substantially different from
"elements" in this context?
----------------------------------
The terms "information set" and "information item" are similar in meaning to the generic terms "tree" and "node", as they are used in computing. However, the former terms are used in this specification to reduce possible confusion with other specific data models. Information items do not map one-to-one with the nodes of the DOM or the "tree" and "nodes" of the XPath data model.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/>

There may have been people thinking of nodes, but "designed for nodes" is
ridiculous.
Is "designed for elements" ridiculous?
Less ridiculous, but still not a clean mapping to the programming concepts you were pushing earlier.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/