How to POST in XML format

I am new to XML/SOAP.

I am missing one point about HTML FORM POSTing and that is how
to post the data in form controls in XML and/or SOAP format.

From my readings, I am getting the idea that:

  a) you could use a proxy or middleware whichs reformats the
     data into XML/SOAP before sending to a seerver, and

  b) you can also use the FORM type="text/xml" attribute
     using the "browser" built-in XML support.

Am I correct so far?

If so, I need an example of how to use method B so that I
can create simple forms to test sending XML request to
our server.

thanks in advance