Re: Escher could have drawn it (Re: XML Schema and Entities)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Alaric Snell wrote:
> Quoting David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>:
>
> > One
> > hopes
> > that the fix still facilitates significant amounts of work being done by
> > stream
> > transforms.  CPP has done #includes as stream operations for decades,
> > and I'm not sure I see why doing it in XML ought to be different.
>
> I always that that XML including would "obviously" be a processing instruction
> issue, myself.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

> <?xml-include uri="http://www.foo.bar.com/fiddle.xml#...xpointer or whatever..."
> ?>
>
>  - if not, then what ARE processing instructions for?

PIs are for passing procedural instructions through XML to a
post-processor.  They are not intended for consumption and
action by the XML processor itself in any way that would affect
the integrity of the document.

For example you can encode a forced  line-break in a title that
you know will be required when the document is typeset but which
you don't wish to hard-code wrt the document structure:

<title>How I Made <?LaTeX \\?>A Million Dollars</title>

///Peter