Re: [xml-dev] Let's get real on W3C XForms 1.0 (why it stinks, to day)

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 06:29:30PM +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> From: "Ann Navarro" <ann@webgeek.com>
>
> > At 02:03 AM 10/6/2001 -0700, Don Park wrote:
>
> > How long do you think it takes to do a thorough examination of an IP
> > portfolio with tens of thousands of items in it, to be able to declare with
> > any kind of competence that there is no conflict that needs to be declared?
>
> A IPR lawyer told me this week that the going rate for challenging a US
> patent is about $100,000.

 And of course the most well-know the lawyer, the most efficient it is
and the most expensive too.
 Patents have been used by corporate lawyers as long term investment
sometimes based on effective in-house research but in a lot of cases
on bogus but accepted claims. It's gonna be extremely hard to get them
to let this "wealth" go away.

> I find it difficult to reconcile talk of freedom and market forces when
> the reality seems to be that Western technological dominance is based
> on the state granting temporary monopolies.

 It must be noted that the disease is far more advanced in the USA than
other Western countries. Though I agree fully with the statement. I hope
Europe will protect itself from the most pernicious part of patenting
algorithms. Corporate lobbying seems a bit less effective here than in
the US.

Daniel