Re: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

On Monday 12 November 2001 04:40 pm, Tim Bray wrote:
> It seems to me that the *right* solution is that any
> interface to an XPointer/XPath implementation needs to have
> an argument whereby you pass in internal knowledge of what,
> in the target document, the ID attributes are.  Because
>
> (a you'll typically have such knowledge, and
> (b) such an override/input could be damn useful in lots of
>     application scenarios anyhow.

My point is that it's unnecessary to do even that if you link to an attribute
with a particular value.... again, ID only guarantees unique values in the
scope of the document, nothing more. As such, any application that is linking
via attributesvalues (ie. ID's), *knows* if they're unique or not, so they
don't need to be told.

The whole fragment id things is a red-herring compared to the real point here.