Re: [xml-dev] IDs considered harmful or why keys might be better thanIDs...

> I should have said like in my previous email that "some DocBook or
> MathML users do not use it properly"!

It's more that I don't want to have to document to users what that
proper use is. The reasons why the ID attributes which are in the DTD
need to be redeclared in an internal subset, and in fact what an
internal subset is, are things that one shouldn't ever have to know
about if all you want to do is write a document and put it on the web.

And it wouldn't be surprising if they were unsure if this was the proper
use if after adding the ID attribute the (otherwise excellent) rxp
gives them a warning about each one.

writing an XML file isn't really any harder than writing HTML (in fact
arguably it's easier as there is more structure to guide you) but
currently getting linking specified in XML is distinctly harder than
using <a name="foo"> ... <a href="#foo"> in HTML, and it's not clear to
me that it has to be that way.

David