   Re: [xml-dev] Can RDDL and RDF coexist?

> [Uche Ogbuji]
>
> No one is saying you cannot follow the namespace.
>
> [Tom P]
>
> Actually, someone did, I think it may have been Patrick Stickler.  It was
> pointed out that, in RDF, a URI uniquely identifies exactly one resource.
> If that resource happens to be a namespace, then it should not also be used
> for a web resource, because then it would identity two resources, not just
> one.

Huh?  This sounds like angels prancing coyly on pin heads.

I haven't had time to read Stickler's and Brickley's exchanges in detail but I'd *thought* Stickler was making good sense.  Perhaps I was wrong.

> It isn't completely clear to me, though, that this argument applies, since
> I'm not clear that the common part of a URI reference used as an RDF
> identifier really counts as a "namespace".

There is nothing blocking a local convention of using particular namespaces in the RDF/XML serialization, and allowing agents to dereference the URIs identifying those namespaces to get an RDFS (or a RDDL document, for that matter).  The problem, as I was pointing out, is that it would be a local and not normative convention, and that someone could sabotage it easily while still obeying all the rules of RDF 1.0.

I think this whole discussion has tended to make the matter seem more complex than it really is.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston): http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html
The Languages of the Semantic Web - http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2453/new1020218556549/index.html
XML, The Model Driven Architecture, and RDF @ XML Europe - http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/kttrack.asp#themodel