   Re: [xml-dev] experts (RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, s

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> I wrote a piece on this long ago:
> http://simonstl.com/articles/doubting.htm
>
> "Moving from the 'Community of Experts' to the Community".

Without presuming to speak for Simon, I think that the proper (and the
only workable) boundary between the experts and the community is this:
domain experts are needed to produce specialized processes which
implement their expertise. The specificity of each such process to its
proper domain must not be compromised by a priori consensus on standard
vocabulary, expected data schematics, intended semantics or any other API
based on the nature of input to or data manipulation within such an
expert domain. The definition of input and manipulation is the province
of the expert *within a domain of expertise*, where its opacity is  the
consequence of its rarefied nature and specificity to its task. The
interest of the community is in the widest possible access, over the
lowest barriers of a priori understanding, to the outputs of those expert
processes. As a medium of publication the internetwork topology is well
suited to provide that access, as soon as we can understand why we should
leave what goes into a process in the opaque world of the experts, but
insist that what comes out is the community's, on which to perform
further useful work.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry