   Re: [xml-dev] experts (RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, s

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> Simon St.Laurent
> "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue

Your quote triggered this:

"It is too soon to write about the Internet IPO Age with perspective,
and without being suspected of premature arteriosclerosis. Many people
still succumb to violent retching when they happen upon any of its
characteristic words - words which have since yielded in vividness to
the coinages of the under-world. It is as dead as were the Yellow
Nineties in 1902. Yet the present writer already looks back to it with
nostalgia. It bore him up, flattered him and gave him more money than he
had dreamed of, simply for telling people that he felt as they did, that
something had to be done with all the nervous energy stored up and
unexpended in the operating systems wars."

"Now once more the belt is tight and we summon the proper expression of
horror as we look back at our wasted youth. Sometimes, though, there is
a ghostly rumble among the servers, an asthmatic whisper in the hard
drives that swings me back into the late nineties when we drank
Chardonnay and _every day in every way grew better and better_, and
there was a first abortive shortening of the capris, and VCs all looked
alike in business casual, and people you didn't want to know said "Yes,
our equity liquidity event is eminent," and it seemed only a question of
a few years before the older people would step aside and let the world
be run by those who saw things as they were - and it all seems rosy and
romantic to us who were young then, because we will never feel quite so
intensely about our portfolios any more."

With apologies to F. Scott Fitzgerald (c.f.
http://www.megaone.com/lsenglish/Echoes%20of%20the%20Jazz%20Age.htm --
and so the cycle begins again...but if they got jazz out of their
bubble, what did we get out of ours?)

 Paul Prescod