   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

> Amelia A Lewis wrote:
>
> > In XML, typing specifies validation algorithms.
>
> Hmm... well it also allows software to unpack XML instances into native
> storage in a sensible way without being savvy to the internals of the
> applications that generated or will use the data.
>
> My question is, is there a need for this? -Tim

SOAP toolkits wouldn't be anywhere near as appealing to the average
developer if it wasn't for this "feature". As much as I love the simplicity
and elegance of RELAX NG, it's simply not suitable for generating
language-specific bindings that can both generate and parse XML.
Murata-san's ooRelaxNG (which I haven't actually seen yet but have seen
references to in the RELAX NG mailing list archive) may change things,
however.

Jason