   Re: [xml-dev] Markup perspective not code (wasRE: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, co

At 12:43 PM 8/1/2002 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
>>To the extent that programmers have influenced the development of XML
>>since version 1.0, I think the impact has been severely negative.
>
>Too simple I think.  Particularly given that almost all of the advantages
>of XML over SGML were based on the principle of "leave out everything
>except what programmers actually understand and use." -Tim

Sure, Tim.  That works for XML 1.0.  It doesn't work for much if anything
after that.

(It sort of works for XSLT, though many people I know who come to XSLT from
programming have rather strong negative initial reactions.  Is it the
variable thing?)

Once programmers started _adding_ to markup practice rather than reducing
markup practice, we wound up with huge mashes of nastiness that take
eternity to sort out.  Case studies: namespaces, W3C XML Schema, W3C XML
Query....

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue