   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing efficiency? - why not 'compile'????

Karl Waclawek wrote:
> I like the point made about random access. Sort of like an indexed
> version of an XML document.

Not necessarily indexed per se, but it's easy to skip large parts of a document
because you know that it doesn't contain what you want.

> I don't quite understand how binXML gives you better streaming,
> in the sense of sending fragments. Isn't that done on the application
> level?

Yes and no. XML doesn't stream all that well, because it doesn't fragment very
well (you always need to send entire documents). For applications that can tune
into a stream that has already started (any broadcast app for instance), that
means they'd need to wait til the end of the current doc before they can start
displaying anything. With binary infosets, that's not the case anymore. You can
also update parts of a document more often than others and other such niceties.
A lot of it is dependent on the transport layer, but binary infosets make that
possible. I'm eagerly awaiting my first SVG TV ;)

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/