   Re: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

Bob Foster wrote:

> Others find XML text too far from the final result. E.g., if one is
> writing books, one may prefer to edit a simile of a book, ditto if one
> is creating graphics, writing music, designing a house, filling out a
> form. To call this a desire for "WYSIWYG" would, I think, be misleading.
> What people in this category seem to say is that they need the ability
> to visualize the "transform target" of the XML while they are writing
> it. If they can get the whole job done by directly editing the target,
> so much the better; but simultaneous visualization is a baseline
> requirement. Len, if I understood him correctly, suggested that an ideal
> editor would be multi-modal, allowing visualization in all the
> application-specific domains a document traverses.

This is what Xopus does. It allows you to edit directly in the
transformation result of XSLT transformations. The transformation result
can be something simple f.e. DocBook-like formatted text, or something
more complex like an orgchart. You can switch between several XSLTs and
Xopus even supports XSLT pipelines and does XInclude resolving.

Take a look at http://www.xopus.com/demo/
(Zero install. Requires Windows IE 5.5 or higher)

--
Sjoerd Visscher
http://w3future.com/weblog/