   Re: [xml-dev] Fast text output from SAX?

At 12:46 AM -0400 4/15/04, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

>I could just as easily argue that every application has to perform
>schema validation, and then at a further level a complete
>application-level sanity validation (since DTD/Schema only goes so
>far), then referential integrity to database tables, etc.  Certainly
>very paranoid applications processing potentially unfriendly data
>need to do these levels, but it is not required of many other

You're mixing apples and oranges. Schema validation (even DTD
validation) is explicitly optional in XML. Furthermore you can
process an invalid document. That is definitely not true of a
malformed document. Failing to check well-formedness is not an option.

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)