   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> We describe XQuery as a superset of XPath, and generate both documents
> from the same XML source. And we widely advertise this fact. If there's
> a clearer way to indicate that the languages are related, please feel
> free to suggest it.

Given that both XQuery and XSLT are provably Turing complete (See
http://www.mulberrytech.com/Extreme/Proceedings/html/2004/Kepser01/EML2004Kepser01.html
among many other proofs) I suspect there's nothing one can do the other
can't. It's mostly a question of convenience and perhaps (perhaps not)
performance. If there's anything one can do the other can't you'd have
to look to XPath extension functions that XSLT defines and XQuery
doesn't, or vice versa.