   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Candle 0.8 - a new scripting language for XML

Wow, we seem to be in almost all the permathreads at once, that may be a record!

"XML is a mess and needs refactoring" - check
"typed vs untyped XML" - check
"is XML a syntax or a data model" - check
"what is the relationship between markup and semantics" - check
"namespaces are a mess that needs sorting out" - check
"binary XML" - oops, ... do you have a more efficient serialization
than the XML-ish syntax?  That would hit another permathread.

Any more we could squeeze in? :-)

Overall, I'd echo most of Michael Kay's comments - this is interesting
and reflects real frustrations with "real" XML.  The timing may not be
right - it will take AT LEAST 5 years before the messiness of XML
starts to outweigh the value of commonality, but it's useful to at
least think about how to refactor XML now.

I'm not so sure I agree 'that a "son-of-XML" doesn't stand
much chance without a broad consensus behind it, and that's not going to
come from one smart product lobbed in to the marketplace from the
sidelines.' Most industries started out as disruptive innovations
lobbed in from the sidelines, and consensus formed around what
actually worked.