Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft buys the Swedish vote on OOXML?

> > ESR accepts the worst claims uncritically:
> I.e. He's as cynical as Bryan and I.

Well part of my cynicism is also based on having had to work with both
formats and while ODF is not actually something I think is beautiful
it is not markup hell either. It is a somewhat irritating format that
I have a lot of aesthetic differences with but the reasons for the
design I can understand. The reasons for OOXML design I can't
understand. This inclines me to prejudice - a technical prejudice
against the format inclines me to questioning the ethical motives of
those pushing it (I guess this is pretty illogical).
My personal feeling is that a good office format will end up coming
out of neither of these two, but out of something like the compound
documents standardization effort.

My position is also made weirder by the fact that my current employer
is an OOXML supporter, and in fact would have joined the ISO process
of their own free will, and voted for standardization, if it had been
proposed as a good thing to do in any strategy meeting.  For this
reason I can without cynicism believe that some organizations, if not
the greater number of them, have done exactly this.

For my employer there are good reasons to vote for OOXML.

So I think it is reasonable that organizations join and vote their
interest. I don't think it is reasonable that organizations join and
vote someone else's interest under various degrees of incitement, and
I believe this has happened.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen