Re: [xml-dev] Is "markup" a noun or a verb? Do you "markup data" or "wrap data in tags"?

On Sep 12, 2008, at 7:50 PM, Mark Shellenberger wrote:

>> Just thought of something that might hopefully clarify. Is this a
>> tag?

> You got chocolate in my peanut butter!  You got peanut butter in my
> chocolate!
> It's a tag and an element.

No. It is an element. Pedantic language (according to the spec) does
not really help. When supposedly technical people ask questions like:

"Does all the content have to be tagged with XML, because there's a
lot of content that predates XML?"

What is the question asking? (use common understanding of the term
rather than only the XML spec)

I would have to ask what do you mean by 'tagged with XML.'

Here is the answer from the MarkLogic CEO:

"The better the tags, the better the queries. If you want to find all
documents that contain the words "bird strike," any text search engine
can do that. If you want to find all documents that classify
procedures related to approach, if all that is tagged, you can get a
pinpointed result. Without tags, you may learn that somewhere in the
300-page PDF are the words "bird strike." That's not very helpful.
With the tags, you can increase the precision of searches and their
granularity. "

Does this mean if you check a search that contains a set of key words,
you find what you need? Does this mean you narrow your search with
XPath?

>> So you are suggesting that "to tag" has now become a causality of
>> Web 2.0?
>> Wonderful.
>>
>> I really don't understand the jump you are taking
>
> Ugh, darn automatic spell checker...I meant to say casualty.

Perhaps it is. Things change.

-Rob