Re: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

> The spec seems to suggest that XML documents are valid only if a DTD
> is associated with the XML document.

That is not a "suggestion". valid is a technical term defined in the XML
specification and that's a necessary condition for validity.

> I don't mind validating XML documents with other technologies like
> RelaxNG or Schematron, if there is a need for me to do so. But I
> think, existence of technologies like RelaxNG or Schematron cannot be
> an excuse for XML spec, not to mention XSD within it as a validating
> technology.

Whether or not a document validates against an XSD or schematron schema
has no bearing on whether or not it is a valid as opposed to merely well
formed XML document. You seem to want "valid" to mean validated against
any schema language of your choice, that's OK (but confusing) if used in
conversation, but it is not the way the term "valid" is defined in XML.

XSD, RelaxNG, Schematron all depend on XML; not the other way round. They
require normative references to XML, it would be entirely backwards (or
worse, circular) for XML to reference them.

David