Re: [xml-dev] XML2.0: Comments (Was: Towards XML 2.0)

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 11:39:20 +0000
michael odling-smee <mike.odlingsmee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Pete Cordell
> <petexmldev@codalogic.com> wrote:
> > Initially I liked the <xml:comment>....</xml:comment> idea, but I
> > now agree with Greg that comments should allow non well-formed
> > data.  Since a comment looking like an element would suggest it was
> > well-formed, I think a non-element style format should be used.
> >  Tweaking XML 1.0 comments seems sufficient rather than a wholesale
> > replacement.
>
> There seems to be two main uses of comments in XML today which is
> aligned with the two schools of thought in this thread:
>
> 1.] Simply commenting out code or adding TODOs etc. - similar use to
> standard code comments.
> 2.] Adding structured documentation - similar to JavaDoc/annotations.

Quite different uses.

With  a KISS hat on, Use Mikes idea,
and don't parse them any differently to any other element.
That would answer the basic need, 1 above.

the second is yet another use of XML... with or without namespaces.

--

regards

--
Dave Pawson