Re: [xml-dev] XML2.0: Comments (Was: Towards XML 2.0)

If you are adding comments to a finished data structure, they might as
well be in-band, and so, part of the data.  If comments are for things
that are a work in progress then why require well-formedness?  What is
the use-case?

I asked earlier what these structured, meaningful in the context of
the document, comments are.  I still can't work out what they are
unless you are still trying to assume that the majority of XML is
meant to be as text read by humans.  I don't think that that is likely
to be the case.  Why fetishise the angle brackets?  Parsing comments
is not exactly rocket science.