Re: [xml-dev] Never mind the browser, let's do MicroXML

On 12/18/2010 8:05 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

>> PS: probably everyone on this list is already aware of this, but SAX
>> stands for Simple API for XML.  To support MicroXML, we would want an
>> even simpler one; Micro-API: MAX? uAX?.
>
> Have you tried XMLStreamWriter? As an event-based push API, it's a
> delight to use compared to SAX, whether you're sending or receiving.

As it turns out I only very recently implemented some xml-aware
full-text indexing using woodstox; as you say, I was drawn to it because
I needed a pull parser.  So I worked with XMLStreamReader. It wasn't
obvious to me how to use XmlStreamWriter as an event-base push API.  I
guess one could implement an event sink as an XmlStreamWriter, but then
what?  Is there some existing glue to connect a Reader to a Writer, or
does one need to implement that?

Also, to return to the point in my original post: it wasn't so much a
criticism of SAX, as much as to say that folks working with a simplified
document format might prefer to have a simplified API that isn't
peppered with hooks for legacy (XML 1.0) features.  But is it really
worth the trouble to produce new micro- versions of all these XML APIs
that would simply eliminate CDATA, DOCTYPE, namespaces, etc?  Especially
if namespaces are to be reintroduced later?

-Mike