Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema Checklist

Michael Glavassevich wrote:
OF2D2BCBAF.CB3E569B-ON85257A9E.004E9BBE-85257A9E.004F17EF@ca.ibm.com" type="cite"> >
> As far as I can see the list of version-specific URI listed in that
> section are "Schema Language Identifiers" _not_ Namespace URI. I don't
> think they are used (or usable) at all with Schema processors directly
> they are just suggested labels that _other_ systems (such as a
> configuration file to tell some GUI which schema processor to use) might
> want to use to refer to versions of the schema specification.

They are being used in APIs (see Xerces for example [1]) for selection and identification of schema processors which support specific versions of the XML Schema language.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xerces/Xerces-J%3A_XML_Schema_1.1_Design_Thoughts#Changes_to_support_XML_Schema_1.1_in_JAXP

It's a shame this change to the semantics of the JAXP API hasn't been discussed and agreed on any JAXP mailing list that I'm aware of. If it had, then there might be more than one processor that supported it by now.

Michael Kay
Saxonica