Re: [xml-dev] [OT] Re: [xml-dev] Lessons learned from the XML experiment

Sod it.

This has always happened in IT. Before XML it was with something else.

In my view at it's root is the fact that

a) We are not a profession

b) Enterprises are unwilling to invest in training.

c) People are assumed to be competent by virtue of their position or
job title. It is not socially acceptable to tell someone they are not
a competent developer/analyst/architect or whatever. You don't have
this problem in Quantitative disciplines because people are quite
ready to admit their shortcomings. People will readily and proudly
tell you they are crap with figures - so if a role requires say a bit
of calculus they will readily self-exclude. Not so with IT. Everybody
that once upon a time managed to cobble together 5 lines of code to
automate some activity thinks they are a competent programmer and
nobody dare say otherwise. There are in-built mechanisms for ensuring
this - you show somebody something different that challenges his
comfort zone and he says it won't perform or is unreadable and points
to his 5 times bigger procedural monolith as the essence of
comprehensibility.

d) Enterprises are happy to employ and deploy such people to develop
software and will happily invest large sums of money in products and
methodologies that will allow such people to produce some form of
software that gives the outward appearance of being functional. They
fill up teams with such people and mediocrity becomes the barometer
for  being able to join or work on such teams. Genuinely talented
people are either put off, considered not a good fit or marginalised
in the team and ignored and reduced to hapless bystanders on the
project - (does that sound like Kurt's situation on the ACA project?).

e) You then have scenarios where the most valued skills on a project
are not genuinely talented programmers designers or analysts, but the
ability to tinker  with and patch badly designed, poorly written
software.

Basically this industry can afford a very comfortable living to alot
of people  who have never and never intend to master the technological
and domain knowledge demands of their position. Hence a primary design
technique is and will always be unnecessary and expedient compromise
and cut and paste.