RE: [xml-dev] How to design XML to have broad utility and yet alsoenable efficient application processing?

> Uche sayus ....

>. What database technology have you seen other than XML that uses such an arcane, unreliable, inscrutable, edge-case ridden mechanism to just say "index one > type of field and not another that coincidentally looks a lot like it"? There are numerous ways to solve that problem, including many less ridiculous than XMLNS.

------

I respectfully disagree.  Its irrelevant to me to compare to other database technology, the same as its irrelevant to ask how to identify a column in RDBMS when indexing XML,

When indexing XML it is perfectly natural, elegant, and clean in my mind to use QName's as the identifier for index items.    ( or in more complex cases  parent/child QNames, or xpaths).

Sure you can skin the cat other ways but that doesn't mean this cat is skinned badly.

Sorry, curse all you like about namespaces and how horrible they are but they really dont bother me much.   Yes they are not perfect, and Yes there are other ways,  yes they take work and are sometimes painful and often unnecessary (so avoid them !) but they are here, they generally work reasonably well.

Its all tilting windmills.....

If something better comes along I will be happy to adopt it, until then .. .well ... namespaces are simply not a big deal to me.

Now irrational numbers, they are *insane* ...

-David