Re: How could RDDL be distributed ?

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:32:01PM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> Leigh Dodds wrote,
> > Miles Sabin wrote,
> > > To do the job you'd need some mechanism for ensuring that all
> > > the DTDs were cached locally before pulling out the wire.
> > > It'd be nice if that local caching mechanism got along well
> > > with a mechanism for connected distribution and replication.
> >
> > And I'd argue that 'getting along well' meant outputting a
> > xmlcat.
>
> I have no problem with that at all. My only beef is that xmlcat
> is what could be distributed/replicated, and that we lack the
> distribution/replication protocol itself.
>
> I'd be lovely if rescap addressed that, but having read Keith
> Moore's draft I really don't see that it does.

Since I'm helping write some of the RESCAP documents I might be
able to tweak them to do what you need. What do you
actually mean by distrubtion/replication? Is it the process
of populating the databases behind a particular RESCAP server?
Is it more along the lines of the "I have a local version of that
XML Schema that I like better" problem?

If its the former then the RESCAP Working Group isn't chartered
to look at that part of the problem. It shouldn't be to hard to
solve though. If its the latter then its more of a question of
which RESCAP server you ask and  what view of the world it has
(essentially the c15n stuff I mentioned before).

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com