Re: Can XPointers be used as a name (was Re: RDDL for names ?(was Re:XMLSchema built-in data typenamespaceURI.))

That was one of the threads (Distributed RDDL) I started reading before I noticed the January date...  This time I went and read (most of) Keith Moore's RESCAP draft and immediately I thought of the last great NS URI dereferencing war.  At the time I said something like, "if you had a DNS-like substance for URIs, you could look before you leap."

Have a look at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-rescap-rc-00.txt

A RESCAP recursive query would help RDDL processing (the client could pass the NS URI back and receive all the URIs contained in the document).  It seems a bit tricky to capture both arcrole and role in the results (simple attribute name/value pairs).

RESCAP could work fine for simple NS URI aliasing, however.  I.e. you could use a good, long term URN-type NS URI and provide a list of mirrored, load-balanced and/or locally cached instances of the schema document available over either HTTP or FTP.  Because it supports signed data, a local server could maintain a secure cache.

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel