Re: [xml-dev] XML for Video, Pizza Shops & TakeOut

"Christopher R. Maden" <crism@maden.org> writes:

> [...]
>
> But as far as XML getting boring: as others have said, the boringer it
> gets, the more successful it's becoming.  It should disappear into the
> ductwork, it should become the tunnels under the city, as CMSMcQ said
> at the SGML/XML '97 keynote.  Or as (I think) Tim Bray likes to say,
> how many people attend ASCII conferences?  That's where XML should be
> going.

No matter how ubiquitous XML becomes, I don't think it'll ever be any
more ridiculous to talk about attending XML conferences than it would
be to talk about attending SGML conferences. And while I guess it'd be
pretty silly to talk about learning ASCII, I don't think anybody would
say it's silly to talk about learning XML -- because in practice of
course, "learning XML" means a lot of things: learning how to write
programs that generate XML, or learning how to process or transform
XML content, or how to author and publish XML documents, etc.