   Re: [xml-dev] DSDL part 9: new namespace declarations not needed as part

At 2002-06-14 14:04 +0000, Arjun Ray wrote:
>John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> wrote:
>|> What are the requirements for DTDs in DSDL?
>|
>| The title of Part 9 is all we have to go on, and it talks about
>| namespace-aware and datatype-aware DTDs.
>
>Insanity.

That is what we are trying to learn ... it was identified as an area of
consideration, so a part was made for it.  We are doing the due-diligence
to determine if there are use-cases supporting the effort involved.

While proposing straw-man solutions is a fascinating exercise, we need to
determine from the use-cases if it is even worthwhile to follow through
with a Part 9 for DTDs.

I'd be interested to hear from others if they think DTD syntax is even
needed for the features we've quoted here ... or will people just rely on
Part 2 (RELAX-NG) for their grammar needs?

Should we even bother with a Part 9?  Why?  We aren't doing this for an
academic exercise ... we want to reach the constituency of document
modelers out there, many of whom are still using DTD syntax.

............ Ken

--
Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1                Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:                 2002-08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03