   Re: [xml-dev] Urgent !!

[Kiran Nadgir]

> Phew ! thanks for all those options.
> I'll try to put down the task as clearly as possible.
> I have a TAP(transferred account procedure) which is an ASN1 file, which
has
> some data, basically records. I have to convert this ASN1 file into an XML
> file. This is an ongoing procedure. I have the DTD which i have to conform
> to. What i am looking for is some utility which will use the asn file  and
> the DTD as input and give an XML file as output.

I am pretty sure you will not find such a tool.  I think you have basically
two choices -

1) Get an asn.1 toolkit to read the asn.1 encoded messages and store them in
data structures (which the toolkit will define and build).  Write some code
that will walk these structures and output XML fragments, which your code
would assemble (or it could output SAX events, which you would feed to an
XML writer).

2) Get some tool that will output an XML encoding of the asn.1, get your
asn.1 toolkit to do the encoding, and then use xslt to transform it to the
format that you actually want.  You will no doubt have to write the xslt
stylesheet yourself.  What tool could you get?  I am not sure, maybe that
IBM one that was  referenced yesterday, or maybe one of the asn.1 companies
has a beta version you could use.

All in all, I would probably go with 1) now.  You could sort of combine 1)
and 2) by writing an intermediate xml format in 1), then using a stylesheet
to arrive at the final format.

Here are links to  Python asn.1 BER encoders/decoders which might be a
starting point:

http://www.panix.com/~asl2/software/PyZ3950/
http://www.cnri.reston.va.us/software/pisces/manual/module-pisces.asn1.html

Cheers,