   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" mythcome fr

seems to me there is a school of thought that has conceptually
simplified xml to nested entities and with them - attributes.

this simplification makes sense of binary xml and all sorts of other things.

however, it seems to me that the pointy bits and the character encoding
are central to xml itself. (as are a number of other things or they
wouldn't be in the spec :) )

so the stress seems to come from those who have recognised the concept
and seek to exploit it in various ways vs those that recognise the
concept as defined in a specification known as xml.

my own conceptual position (at the moment - it is fluid) is that xml 1.0
defines a powerful synatx for repesenting mark up (xMl) and for
extending it (Xml). the extensions as it turns out are by way of
vocabularies - xsl, xsl-fo, soap, svg, ws-*, etc all being vocabularies.

of all the proposals the one that will most likely break xml (and i
accept there are good reasons people/companies want some sort of binary
xml) is binary xml because it breaks 2 rules i can think of - the
character encoding and the idea that the length of data in an entity is
determined by the end tag.

from a theoretical point of view i would be happier if asn.1 was used
for binary comms and the effort went into building tools for xml<->ans.1
interchange (i know there are some out there already) with the
limitations clearly stated.

from a data perspective i find the xpath and xquery stuff most of
interest and likely to be the successor of sql. watch this space (or my
website).

rick

Bill de hÓra wrote:

> Ronald Bourret wrote:
>
>> This assumes that "XML" refers to the serialization format alone. For
>> most of us, XML refers to the whole spectrum of things XML, from
>> XQuery to XML Schemas to DOM trees. The fact is that binary XML seeks
>> to exploit all of these things except the serialization format.
>

> I don't know; I find that a bit bizarre. Binary XML: seeks to exploit
> all things XML - except XML.
>
> cheers
> Bill

> !DSPAM:42080444307931454617616!