RE: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

Hi Mukul

The line from the XML 1.0 5th edition spec

[Definition: An XML document is valid if it has an associated document type
declaration and if the document complies with the constraints expressed in
it.]

The above definition of the term "valid" is not really common Xml usage
anymore. I have seen the term "valid" used when a document has no DTD and
"validates" against an XML schema - for instance Oxygen uses this term - or
Xml Schema Primer says:

(1) it checks for conformance to the rules, a process called schema
validation,

So Mukul's suggestion of having a forward reference using "such as" text is
definately an improvement - for example:

An XML document is valid if it has an associated document type declaration
and if the document complies with the constraints expressed in it.  As well,
the validity of an XML instance can be determined with the use of a document
type declaration if using other validation mechanisms such as XML Schema.]

There have been previous discussions - see XML entry in Wikipedia - where
people have expressed a need to see DTD's special status removed with
respect to XML.

So perhaps we can close the discussion on that note :)

Jim