Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema Checklist

On 21/10/2012 18:35, Timothy Cook wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
>> It's a shame this change to the semantics of the JAXP API hasn't been
>> discussed and agreed on any JAXP mailing list that I'm aware of. If it had,
>> then there might be more than one processor that supported it by now.
> So, can I take this to mean that SAXON does not support this approach now?
Yes.
> If not:
> 1) will it in the future?
Yes, now that I know about it
> 2) what happens (with SAXON) if I specify the version 1.1 URI now?
The Saxon schema processor won't be found by the JAXP classpath search.

(Having said this, I don't generally advise people to use the JAXP
classpath search mechanism anyway. It's very expensive, it exposes your
application to the risk of using a schema (etc) processor that you
haven't tested the application with, and it's very sensitive to things
that you often have no control over, like the order of JAR files on the
classpath).

For information, when you invoke the Saxon schema processor there is an
option to say whether you want it to act as an XSD 1.0 or XSD 1.1
processor. The default is currently XSD 1.0. On the command line the
option is -xsdversion:1.0|1.1, in APIs it is the configuration property
"http://saxon.sf.net/feature/xsd-version"; which takes the values "1.0"
or "1.1". I'm afraid it never occurred to me to use a 37-character
string for the property value.

Michael Kay
Saxonica