RE: Related resources

Edd Dumbill wrote:

> OK, I'll try again on this.  It seems to me that the sort of bundles we
> might want to be able to apply to documents in an indirected fashion, we
> might also reasonably want to apply in a hardwired manner too.  The
> problem I think I want solving is some kind of reconciliation between
> the proliferation of things like:
>
> <?xml-stylesheet .. ?>
> xsi:schemaLocation
>
> Seems to me that we're solving this problem along the way here. The
> things that we're defining for namespaces work equally well for
> document instances.  In which case not only do I want the ability to
> hardwire this *if I wish*, but I'd also like to be able to apply bundles
> to document fragments (ie.  anything an XPointer can reference).
>
> I'm hoping to solve the sort of problem I describe in
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00120.html
>
> The way I see it I'm looking for a standard way (by which I mean a
> vocabulary and syntax(es) on which we all agree) to describe related
> resources, and then ways to attach these to a namespace, a document, or
> a document fragment--or inline them when deemed necessary.  Can others
> see this use case?

Sure. A resource directory description is both defined as content of XHTML,
but importantly has XHTML content, so such resource descriptions could be
inlined within a document, or alternatively 'attached' to a document (or
xpointer) as metadata using an extended link.

rddl:resource inlined:

	<example:myDocument>
		<rddl:resource
			xlink:arcrole="http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/arcrole.htm#XSLT"
			xlink:href="...xsl stylesheet"
example:myDocument</p>
		 </rddl:resource>
		<rddl:resource
			xlink:arcrole="http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/arcrole.htm#XSD"
			xlink:href="...xml schema..."
		 </rddl:resource>
	</example:myDocument>

and using rddl:resource as metadata for an xpointer:

	(note that the semantics of the RDF 'about' attribute means 'apply to this
URI')

first attaching an external resource directory description:

	<rddl:bundle xlink:type="extended">
		<rddl:resource xlink:type="locator"
				   xlink:label="remote"
				   xlink:href="...xpointer here.."/>
		<rddl:resource
				xlink:type="arc"
				xlink:arcrole="http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/"
				xlink:from="xpointer">
		</rddl:resource>
	</rddl:bundle>

and secondly 'attaching' an inlined a resource bundle to an xpointer

	<rddl:bundle xlink:type="extended">
		<rddl:resource xlink:type="locator"
				   xlink:label="remote"
				   xlink:href="...xpointer here.."/>
		<rddl:resource
			xlink:type="arc"
			xlink:from="xpointer"
			xlink:arcrole="http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/arcrole.htm#XSLT"
			xlink:href="...xsl stylesheet"
		 </rddl:resource>
		<rddl:resource
			xlink:type="arc"
			xlink:from="xpointer"
			xlink:arcrole="http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/arcrole.htm#XSD"
			xlink:href="...xml schema..."
		 </rddl:resource>
	</rddl:bundle>

Note that one could equivalently express these semantics by replacing the
extended xlink and locator resource with an rdf:about="...xpointer..." on
the rddl:bundle.

Nice use case.

Jonathan