Re: Schemas and entities (was "And the DTD says, "I'm NOT dead yet!!")

Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au> writes:

> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
>
> > Schema-aware processing starts when XML parsing finishes.  If the XML
> > parser concerned is conformant, it will process and implement the
> > effect of general entity declarations in the internal subset at
> > least.  If there are attribute declarations in the internal subset, or
> > in the external subset and they are processed, this may also affect
> > what the schema processor sees.
>
> Thanks for the clarification. I must say, I'm not thrilled about
> having to normalise a document before handing it to a schema-driven
> processor, but at least now I know.

Sorry this takes you by surprise, and with a negative response.  We
think it's a _very_ important property of XML Schema that it builds on
_top_ of XML 1.0 plus Namespaces, and starts where they leave off,
rather than starting all over again at the level of BNFs for character
sequences.  Providing the latter would have _considerably_ increased
the size of an already large spec.

ht