Re: Schemas and entities (was "And the DTD says, "I'm NOT dead yet!!")

ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) writes:

> ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) writes:
>
> > > You suggest using a validating processor but that would generate errors
> > > as the document would be invalid, wouldn't it?
> >
> > Nope.  No ELEMENT or ATTLIST == no errors.
>
> Arghh.  Must be Friday.  You're right, I'm wrong.  Most validating
> parsers actually recover from no declaration for the root element by
> turning off validation, but that's a contingent, not a necessary,
> property.

Further bulletin from the front: this doesn't mean you can't use a
validating parser as the first stage of an XML Schema-aware processor,
or that you will of necessity be beset by error messages from it if
you do and only use the DOCTYPE statement to define internal general
entities: The XML Infoset draft spec. [1], on which the XML Schema
draft spec. [2] depends in this regard, makes clear that a
well-formed-but-invalid XML document has a perfectly good infoset.
(XML 1.0 DTD-based) validation itself, i.e. XML 1.0 DTD-based
processing beyond that which is required of non-validating processors)
of documents with no external subset affects nothing which XML
Schema-aware processing is sensitive to.

ht