RE: [xml-dev] XML spec and XSD

> Well, I would quibble that XSD no more in the same family of
> standards as XML than you could regard WSDL as being in the
> same family.

If I were asked what the term "family of standards" means, then I would say
that it means a set of standards that come from the same organization and
are planned and coordinated as a unit. XML and XSD are both within the
purview of the XML Activity within W3C, so in that sense they are most
definitely part of the same family in a way that WSDL is not. On the other
hand, XSD is not part of the "XML Core" (which includes XML, Namespaces,
XInclude, Infoset, and XML Base, as well as (somewhat bizarrely) the spec
for <?xml-stylesheet?>. So perhaps XML Core is the nuclear family, while
XSD, XSLT, XQuery, and XProc are part of the extended family. Then WSDL is a
second cousin once removed, while RelaxNG is a next-door neighbour.

Michael Kay