RE: [xml-dev] Principles for an Ethical and Sustainable Internet

Since you forwarded it to Trichordist, Michael, some who work in the
industry will note it.  We've been talking about metadata standards.
There is resistance in some part because previous attempts have failed
and other parts because attempts to begin serious discussions of the
problem meet the same perverse resistance met here from members of the
software community who believe they have a right to those opinions
regardless of how badly informed they are.

They did embrace digital downloads, Pete.  They are fighting piracy just
as the software industry has and does.  It is the "information wants to
be free" quote that is seldom followed by the rest of Brand's admonition
that "information wants to be expensive" that they resist.  A world
class album costs between $250k for a small work to $750k to produce and
that is before any pressings, marketing or other expenses.

It will be interesting to see how many software experts continue to
defend piracy because they are "offended" by the discussion.  This is a
list that will debate "worse is better" and any number of other
absurdities but resolutely refuses to recognize the social disorders
they have created.  It doesn't speak well of the community and I do have
the right to express that opinion regardless of how treated for it and
in contrast to some here, I am uniquely well informed.

If XML isn't relevant, then Hunt was right.  This technology is done and
it little matters what is discussed here on a public list.

len